Monday, April 14, 2008

I swear it’s the end of the world…

This weekend was one of the best I’ve had in a very long time. Saturday started off with a little jam session with me, 2 cousins and an uncle. We will be the musical entertainment at my cousin, Julie’s, wedding next month. I had never really played with any of them (in an organized fashion anyways) so it was really cool for me. Two of them are amazing musicians and a big reason why I picked up the guitar over 10 years ago. You’d think I’d be a lot better after 10 years, but as long as I look like I know what I’m doing, I’ll keep everybody fooled as long as I can.

Later that day we all went to the temple as immediate and extended family because Julie would be receiving her endowments. It was awesome. It was the first time my parents, my sister and I had been in the temple together since Holly got home from her mission. That, with the addition of Julie and her family, made it an even more incredible experience. And Rick. Rick is the guy Julie is marrying. He’s phenomenal and oh so perfect for Julie. He’s a perfect fit for our family full of weirdos. Good find Julie. Now find one just like him for Holly.

Sunday only intensified the family togetherness. Let me preface this first: My grandpa Val was born and raised in the Church in a small Idaho town. He was a good kid. Then he joined the Navy. A few wrong turns later and alcohol and tobacco were part of his life. He married a sweet girl named Mary and they started a family. They had five kids and settled down in Arizona once Val left the Navy. The kids grew up and started their own families. By the time I was born Grandpa Val had stopped smoking and drinking. He never went to Church though. The only times I’d ever seen him in a church was to send a grandkid off on a mission or if someone had died, always wearing his patented “Marryin’ n’ Buryin’” suit. Out of Val and Mary’s five kids, only the two oldest daughters (and their families) are active members. We’ve tried countless times to get them back to church and if they did go it was only once or twice and then nothing more. Fast forward to 2008. When Julie got engaged she went straight to Grandma and Grandpa’s to tell them. This was a moment that would change our family. Julie told them about her engagement and then, whether led by the Spirit or her heart, asked Grandma Mary to be at her Temple wedding. Grandma replied, “I’ll be there”. She then turned to Grandpa Val. The same question followed and his reply, “I’ll try”. These were amazing words for Julie and for the rest of our family. Grandma and Grandpa have never been to the Temple so there was much preparation ahead. But their willingness to put forth all the effort necessary was a miracle in itself. As of today they have received all the Temple Preparation lessons. Fast forward to yesterday. We went to Stake Conference in Scottsdale where we all raised our hands in support of my Grandpa receiving the Melchizidek Priesthood and being ordained to the office of an Elder. On a whim, the Stake President called Julie and Grandpa up the stand to share their testimonies. Julie went first and bore a sweet testimony of forever families and the story of our Grandpa’s journey. Then Grandpa got up. It was amazing to see him up there. He spoke for a moment of the love and support his family has given him. Then he said something I had never heard him say in my entire life. “I know the Church is true. I know Joseph Smith was a true Prophet.” It was a first for many of our family to hear. All of us had tears in our eyes as he spoke, including Grandpa. After Conference we all gathered in the high council room. We stood in a circle, placed our hands on his head and gave my Grandpa Val the Melchizidek Priesthood. Another amazing experience, not only for Grandpa, but for everyone else in the family.

We all are hoping and praying that my Grandparents can attend the Temple in time for Julie’s wedding but mostly we’re just praying they get there.

Get your food storage together people...the Second Coming has gotta be close!

2 comments:

spice2116 said...

so AMAZING! what a wonderful way to boost the spirit?! knowing that Heavenly Father is always working in our lives. i think that best part would be being a part of giving your grandpa the priesthood.

curious what does food storage have to do with it all? lol

The Fletchies said...

you had quite the weekend! that is seriously such a cool experience, i'm so glad you journaled (blogged) about it!