Sunday, May 23, 2010

"Distant Land" by John Rutter

I heard this on Music and the Spoken Word this morning and loved it. Just thought I'd share.

I see a distant land: it shines so clear.
Sometimes it seems so far, sometimes so near.
Come, join together, take the dusty road;
Help one another: share the heavy load.

The journey may be long: no end in sight;
There may be hills to climb, or giants to fight:
But if you’ll take my hand,
we’ll walk together t’ward the land of freedom.

I hear the distant son: it fills the air.
I hear it, deep and strong, rise up in prayer:
O Lord, we are many; help us to be one.
Heal our divisions: Let thy will be done.

I know the time will come when war must cease:
A time of truth and love, a time of peace.
The people cry, ‘How long
till all the world can join the song of freedom.’

I touch a distant hand and feel its glow,
the hand I hoped was there: at last I know.
Swords into ploughshares: can it all come true?
Friends out of strangers: start with me and you.

I see another time, another place
where we can all be one, one human race.
The walls will melt away,
we’ll come together on the day of freedom.

No comments: