Monday, August 3, 2009

Celebrate!

Saturday was my birthday and at this age it almost feels like just another day. Well, Mike did a good job at making my day feel special! First, he let me sleep in a little and took care of the girls while making breakfast for me. We ate French toast and sausage together as a family. Mike is not much of a breakfast eater so this is kind of a big deal for me. For those of you who don't know, my husband is a great cook. I love eating his food.

After breakfast we got ready to go see "Up." I loved this movie! It's so fun and works well with both old and young. We saw it as a family, Taylor too! We've never braved the movies with an infant before so this was a first for us and she did great. We even got compliments from people sitting around us after the movie at how well she did.


Another surprise during to movie was Taylor's first tooth! She finally got one out on the bottom. She's still quite fussy so I'm sure others are soon to follow. It's hard to get a picture without a screaming fit so you probably won't see one.

After the movie we went to Joe's Fresh Farm Grill. Warning: The Fried Chicken Tender Basket might as well be the Four Fried Chicken Breasts Basket! They were huge. I only got through two and had to take the rest home. However, like many things on the menu, they were delicious. I don't do fried too often so this was a nice greasy treat. Higley and Ray if you're interested.



After lunch, we took the girls home and Mike gave me birthday money and sent me shopping BY MYSELF for 2 blissful hours. After visiting 5 different stores, I ended up with 2 shirts, 4 pairs of earrings and 4 necklaces. It's been a long time since I've gotten any stylish jewelry so I stocked up!

I got home and got all fancied up with my knew jewelry and we headed off to a surprise dinner. Mike wouldn't tell me where we were going so I tried to be calm and patient about it hoping it was something I would like and not something he's been dying to try. We took the girls to Ted and Stef's (cousins) in Scottsdale. The only clue I had was it was near their place and I had never been there before. We swapped cars with Ted and Stef (which they had just washed their beautiful black Tacoma and we had our dingy dirty Pacifica) and used GPS for the first time ever to get to our destination. Where did we end up?








THE MELTING POT!


This is a picture of one part of our four course meal! It started with a cheese fondue appetizer with breads, vegetables, and green apples. Then we had a salad. Then came the entree with 5 different kinds of meat (filet mignon, sirloin, pork, chicken, and shrimp) and more vegetables (as seen in picture). Then dessert! Pure milk chocolate fondue with rice krispie treats, pound cake, brownies, cheesecake, bananas, strawberries, graham cracker covered marshmallows and the favorite of the night . . . oreo dust covered marshmallows. We've already decided to figure out how to make the Oreo marshmallow. They were delectable! I was absolutely stuffed, but so happy and in love with my food. Thanks so much Ted and Stef for watching the girls. We really appreciated it and they had such a good time. Brooklyn is still talking about Lola!

I give all the credit of my beautiful birthday to my wonderful husband. He takes such good care of me and puts up with a lot. I am so incredibly blessed to have him in my life. We've been friends for 10 YEARS now! Best friends just shy of that, so it's very hard to imagine life without him. I'm so glad I married my high school sweetheart and that we have two beautiful girls to show for it. We have a blast and still laugh at each other almost everyday. We may have struggles just like any other couple goes through, but I will forever love him. After such a wonderful day I've got a tall order to fill for his birthday. Hopefully I don't mess it up!

Here's a list of some things we got on my birthday (or planned to get) for free or special priced:

Free popcorn at Harkins
$10 of your meal at Joe's Fresh Farm Grill
A dozen donuts at Krispy Kreme (missed this one)
special love and attention from those who love you :)





4 comments:

Unknown said...

It was our pleasure to watch your amazing girls! We will do it any time. It helps me not spend so much time nurturing(I mean spoiling) Lola, ha ha.
Funny story about breakfast. Brooklyn kept saying how good the breakfast her dad made. We asked her what he made and she told us "bread, and then we put syrup on it!" So funny how a 5 year old sees the world, she kept us laughing all night!
Happy B-day! And here is to another great year!

Adam and Jess said...

Happy belated birthday. I must say he did a great job of making your day special. I can't believe all that yummy food in ONE day. Isn't it weird getting older?

JoDee said...

Oh looks like a heavenly day - kudos to Mike and Happy Belated Birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, happy birthday Dear Kristi, Happy Birthday to you!

Macie said...

Wow! Way to go Mike! The Melting Pot sounds DELICIOUS. Fondue is yummy stuff. Glad you had a great birthday!